This evening we welcomed home two new pet chinchillas: Alien X and Gray Matter. Huh!? What?! Why?! I am still asking myself those very questions. It all happened rather suddenly, you see. One of Jake's co-workers was looking to unload (er ... did I say 'unload'? I, of course, meant something more like 'place' or 'bless another family with') her pet chinchillas. Apparently, her teenage daughter has discovered boys and these little fellas no longer hold much interest for her. I agreed to go look at them not exactly knowing what a chinchilla was, and
definitely not expecting to see the whopper of a cage you see below. Needless to say, I was a bit shocked at first -- pleasantly by the adorable little furballs (bigger than a guinea pig, but smaller than a rabbit), and not so pleasantly by the mammoth cage that they live in. After a few minutes watching them with the kids, though, I could envision them in the playroom and realized that's probably where they belong. Then, I found out that they have been ridiculously spoiled, are extremely picky about the kind of food that they eat, and require a rather elaborate weekly cage cleaning ...

Max had these guys named within 2 minutes of meeting them! They are named after some aliens (one black and one gray) on one of his favorite shows, Ben 10 Alien Force

Gray Matter: "Help! We have landed on a strange and unusual planet! Who are you and why have you taken us prisoner?"
Max and Cate: "Fear not little chinchilla! You have landed safely on Planet Harper and you are going to like it here!"

home sweet home!

This is Alien X, the bashful one. Gray Matter is much more social. Both are super cute!
8 comments:
OK, is that cage bigger than you!!! It seems though that all of your animals come in big fashion weather it be their living quarters or their actual body. Just look at your sweet horse, I mean dog! LOL! They are super cute little rascals. We'll have to come visit some time!
Oops, meant to say "whether" not "weather". LOL!
A strange coincidence- My parents raised chinchillas when I was Max's age. I didn't get to play with them, or even touch them. They were too expensive. - Pop
My sister used to have a chinchilla but had to find her a new home last year because she developed an allergy for her. Nevertheless, they are the most adorable creatures!! (the only thing is that they like to sleep during the day and play at night :))
Ha ha!! So far the count is one dog and two chinchillas....... what next???
I'm sure they'll bring lots of happiness!!
Mom
Um, mom, don't forget the Cat (Fifi) that spends most of its time at our house b/c Cate loves her so much. One dog, one cat, two chinchillas ... oh yeah, and the sea monkeys! :)
Pop, you can play with ours all you want when you come visit! They were free!
I can't believe how big Max looks on his first day of school! And those shoes! He is making big steps to catch up to his daddy. How does Cate handle Max being in school? Sunny
Post a Comment