Tuesday, April 5, 2011

More robot battles with Grampa!

Grampa paid us a visit last week! Just in time for the FIRST Robotics Regional Championship, held here in Knoxville this year. This competition was much smaller scale than the International Championships that we attended in Atlanta last year, and I'd say that turned out to be a good thing. Max got to see a lot more of the teams in action and we had the chance to meet and talk with the team from the Webb School here in Knoxville (the team Max will probably be on when he's older). Max was, once again, inspired by all of this scientific greatness! In fact, in the middle of watching one of the matches, Max looked at me and declared that he needed a table, pencil, and paper STAT. (He said it with conviction, so I wasn't about to protest that we had just made our way to some seats high up in the stands.) He sat down at a table and proceeded to sketch a brilliant robot design, which he later shared with the Webb team, who incidentally, had been on a losing streak all day and seemed to need some good ideas. When we got home, he said he had a few more important things to add to his design (like an extra battery for when the first one dies like it did on the Webb bot :) Can't wait to see what he comes up with next!

DSC_0741
Three amigos :)
DSC_0749

DSC_0726
robot
DSC_0725
another one
DSC_0716
random robotics team
DSC_0720
Max with girlfriend, Inga (Team Webb)
DSC_0730
the playing field (the robots are supposed to pick up those shapes and hang them on the appropriate hooks ... or something like that.)
DSC_0736
engineer at work
DSC_0738
the initial plan
DSC_0737
grateful members of Team Webb
DSC_0754
Button King!

3 comments:

{A*very} Blessed Life said...

That Max is a Super Wiz Kid! I am so glad I'll be able to say, "I knew Max when he was just a kid in Knoxville!" one day after he has discovered or invented something amazingly awesome. He is truly gifted!

Aunt Megan said...

Unbelievably COOL! I can't wait to go to Max's Robotics competitions!!!

Sarah Harper said...

Thanks, y'all! I'm super proud of him :)

I am starting a lego-robotics club at his school for next year, so hopefully his first "competition" won't be too far away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...