That's the message of the new 'Wimpy Kid' series by Jeff Kinney, and Max is EATING IT UP! I have been reading this series with Max since a little before Christmas time and he has loved it from day one! When Jake brought the first one home, I was thinking this was going to be too "mature" for a 5-year-old. But, as we all know, Max is not your average 5 year old. Mentally, he has no trouble identifying with the book's middle school-aged main character, Greg Heffley:

Reading these books with Max has been a blast! Lots of laughs and good conversations about why kids act the way they do, how to handle different situations in school, what's funny, what's cool ... the list goes on. We are just about to finish up the last of book of the series. I don't know what we'll do for bedtime entertainment after this. I am very glad, though, that in addition to the four books in the series, they have a do-it-yourself book. Max got it at the book fair yesterday, and has been busy recording all of his thoughts and current favorites Greg Heffley style.
I'll post some of those pages for you in the near future. For now, check out this link to the movie, coming out March 19: http://www.wimpykid.com/MovieTrailer.html
Oh, and yes, Max can read these "big kid" books entirely on his own -- totally amazing!


No comments:
Post a Comment