Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Conversations with Max


Well, the Christmas tree is still up ... actually, it's not even all the way up.  I started taking it down a few weeks ago and never finished, so now it just stands there half-stripped as a constant reminder of how behind we are in everything .... ugh!  Oh well, I  solemnly vow to have it down by Valentine's day .... better make that Easter :)

Another thing I'm behind on is learning how to use the new camera Jake got me for Christmas. That takes priority over the tree, of course, because it's going to have a big day on the 23rd!  That's right -- Cate will be turning 1 in a little over a week!!!! 

For the time being, I'm afraid I don't have any new pics to post.  I did want to share a few classic quotes from Max "Knoxville's Big Talker" (as we call him), who always keeps me laughing!

Earlier today:

We are watching the "Horton Hears a Who" DVD, which includes a short movie of Dr. Seuss' Butter Battle Book.  You all know this one:  the Yukes and the Zukes are at war because Yukes butter their bread butter side up, while Zukes butter theirs butter side down.  A wall divides them and each side keeps approaching the wall with a more powerful weapon than the other until they both stand poised to drop the Dr. Seuss equivalent of an atom bomb on the other at the very end.  Seeing a "teachable moment" I say to Max, "Max, isn't it ridiculous that they are fighting like that over something as silly as which side you butter your bread on? I mean, it's not like buttering their bread on top makes them better or something." Then Max looks at me and says,  "Duh, mom, the Zukes are better.  Their bread resists gravity!" (I kid you not -- he actually said "resists gravity")

Also earlier today:

Max walks up to me out of the blue and says:  "Mom, you know how grown-ups only know how to do boring things?  Well, when I'm grown up, I'm not going to forget how to use my toys and I'm going to be a super hero for my job."

A few weeks ago:

I'm unpacking all of our Christmas goodies and realize that Jake got 2 of those tools that have 8 or 9 little screwdrivers that you can pull out on one side and a flash light on the other (very  handy!) Knowing that he is unlikely to use even one of them, I give one to Max, who immediately starts removing all of the door knobs and door stops in the house!! It isn't long before he needs some batteries to make the flashlight part of it work.  I put some in and he exclaims:  "This is great!  Now I can finally do that thing that I've been wanting to do my whole entire life ... screw in the night!"

Well, that's all I can remember for now.  I'm sure there will be many, many more!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...