Max has been pretty in to Batman lately (In case you were wondering: Batman, Iron Man, and The Hulk are cool 4-year-old superheros; Spiderman and Superman are babyish 3-year-old superheros.) He has been running around in his Batman PJs pretending to be Batman, but the costume seemed incomplete without a mask, so, when I saw this Batman mask yesterday, I decided to get it for him. When he put it on, he instantly felt powerful -- so powerful, in fact, that he decided he need no longer fear the shadows that had been scaring him at night. He had been asking me to leave the closet light on, but last night he devised a new plan: "If I wear the Batman mask all night long, then the scary shadows will be so scared of me that they will leave the room forever." So, he told me I could leave the closet light off and (because Batman would never feel the need for 'night nights') put his pacifiers in the drawer. When I went in his room an hour later and found him asleep with the mask on, it seemed his plan had worked. However, this morning I found him sitting on the couch with his Batman mask crying. Apparently, he couldn't hold his "mean face" long enough, and that was part of what he needed to do to scare off the shadows. So, the shadows are still there, and Max lacks the facial muscles to hold his mean face all night long so that he can scare them off. We'll have to see how tonight goes .
Saturday, September 13, 2008
FIGHTING CRIME ... in his sleep
Max has been pretty in to Batman lately (In case you were wondering: Batman, Iron Man, and The Hulk are cool 4-year-old superheros; Spiderman and Superman are babyish 3-year-old superheros.) He has been running around in his Batman PJs pretending to be Batman, but the costume seemed incomplete without a mask, so, when I saw this Batman mask yesterday, I decided to get it for him. When he put it on, he instantly felt powerful -- so powerful, in fact, that he decided he need no longer fear the shadows that had been scaring him at night. He had been asking me to leave the closet light on, but last night he devised a new plan: "If I wear the Batman mask all night long, then the scary shadows will be so scared of me that they will leave the room forever." So, he told me I could leave the closet light off and (because Batman would never feel the need for 'night nights') put his pacifiers in the drawer. When I went in his room an hour later and found him asleep with the mask on, it seemed his plan had worked. However, this morning I found him sitting on the couch with his Batman mask crying. Apparently, he couldn't hold his "mean face" long enough, and that was part of what he needed to do to scare off the shadows. So, the shadows are still there, and Max lacks the facial muscles to hold his mean face all night long so that he can scare them off. We'll have to see how tonight goes .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment